Any one who has ever ventured out into the beautiful wild landscapes of these islands with a group of friends and associates, perhaps as Girl Guides, Boy Scouts, in the military or just an informal weekend hill walking group will appreciate the value of placing trust in the person with the map. The lead man (or woman) with the OS map and these days the GPS device can get the group safely over the streams, avoid the danger spots, along the dry and leeward paths to the goal which may be a trig point on a mountain top, a camping site, a refueling station or a cosy country pub. The person who claims and then demonstrates his or her abilities to get the group to the goal is respected and valued, even if not personally liked by everyone in his or her group. Screw up, lead the group into a dangerous gully or a midge infested bog and then blame the weather, the map itself or someone else in the group for his own failings is the quickest way to lose any respect and earn contempt instead.
A leader of a political party which seeks to bring about revolutionary changes to the way our country is governed, the way our society is conducted and which seeks the absolute security for the indigenous peoples in our island homeland is bound to attract condemnation, belittlement and derision. It goes with the job.
Such condemnation, belittlement and derision is expected from that Party’s natural political opposition but when serious doubts about the Leader’s competence arise within the membership and attracts opprobrium from a rapidly growing number of that individual’s former colleagues and associates the ability of the man with the map is in question. Is the group still on course to get to its original destination? Has bad weather created such an obstacle to the wayfaring that the group had better seek shelter and sit out the rough patch? Has the man with map decided to change the destination without telling the group who are suffering hail from above and boggy ground from below, being ravaged by biting insects and risking the occasional rock fall as they follow the man with the map? Perhaps the man who started out with the map has lost his way and has blamed God, the weather, the makers of the map and a score of people in the group rather than admit the mistake to himself and to the group?
Respect earned never demanded
A good leader who wishes to remain in office will do everything possible to earn and maintain the respect of his close team of advisers and lieutenants, will do everything possible to earn and maintain respect from the wider mass membership who ultimately pay his wages through their annual subscriptions and furthermore will do everything to earn the albeit begrudging respect of rational political opponents, free thinking media commentators and the wider electorate who are unsurprisingly deeply cynical about any party politician, thanks to the stench of the greed, corruption and sleaze emanating from the inhabitants of the Palace of Westminster.
One thing a mature, long-sighted leader will never do and that is demand respect and loyalty. Only someone so paranoid, so superficial and insecure would demand that which is always earned and never freely given.
The Leader of the British National Party is now so lacking in confidence about the loyalty of those around him, so mistrusting of the officials and officers he has either appointed directly or indirectly that he is asking branch and regional organisers to test the loyalty of the Party’s own activists by getting each one to sign what is effectively an oath of allegiance to the Party’s current regime.
In the past 24 hrs the Party’s Head of Administration has sent out scores of “activist declaration” forms to regional organisers in a bid to test the allegiance of officials and foot soldiers. In echoes of Matthew Hopkins infamous 17th century witch trials anyone failing to sign the form will be assumed to be guilty, a trouble maker and a rebel and will be marked for demotion, suspension and expulsion. Anyone signing it and later regretting it will be marked for demotion, suspension and expulsion.
It is a further attempt to flush out all dissent within the Party, to tighten the grip on those who have given up thinking for themselves and will blindly follow over moor and mountain, through swamp and fen regardless of the ultimate destination, if indeed there is one.
Contempt for freedom and democracy
The BNP once claimed to stand for freedom, security, identity and democracy; the four fundamental pillars of nationalism. This absurd test of allegiance demonstrates clearly what the current Leader thinks of freedom for everyone other than himself. His recent and as yet unsuccessful attempts to derail a leadership challenge mounted by Councillor Colin Auty demonstrates clearly what the current Leader thinks about democracy in the organisation he is leading.
The activist’s declaration form strangely includes “I will do nothing to embarrass the Party”. It is unclear whether this will be retrospectively applied as it has not prevented The Great One from:
- Overturning the lawful and valid disciplinary action against Mark Collett and Dave Hannam who brought the Party into disrepute after picking up two under age schoolgirls in
Blackpoolin November 2006.
- Tolerating the existence of a handful of “bad backers” in various positions – spongers claiming benefits from the State while being paid cash in hand and getting expenses reimbursed by the Party Treasury.
- Tolerating a totally incompetent Treasury Department which still manages to enrage scores of fundholders of local groups up and down the country; a department which cannot get its submissions to the Electoral Commission (EC) on time thereby incurring fines paid by members’ dues.
- Bragging about the huge amount of money donated to the Party earlier this year but claiming just ONE permissible donation in its submissions to the EC for the first quarter of the year.
- Actively promoting a supposed “Director” of its “Legal Department” who has made nationalism a derisory term by way of his endless hate-filled self-promoting rants combined with his supposed prophetic genius that the Second Coming is due to happen in 2012 and makes so many grammatical errors that he would never last one single day in a proper office job let alone a functioning law firm.
- Joining the same globalisation highway as our political enemies which makes a virtue out of saving money by off-shoring goods and services as is evidenced by the latest wheeze of sending BNP officials to training courses in
, Valencia because “it’s cheaper than conducting a similar exercise in the Spain ”. UK
In reality from a legal point of view the declaration is not worth the paper it is written on and we have heard that so far not a single one of these forms has been completed and returned to the Supreme Leader’s HQ in Deeside. Perhaps the days following the Bank Holiday weekend will see the full scale of the disillusionment with the current regime in which case we can expect many more ludicrous edicts and acts associated with paranoia and megalomania.
How much more nonsense will the decent, long suffering members tolerate?
The wording of the
BRITISH NATIONAL PARTY ACTIVIST DECLARATION FORM
- I agree to abide by the British National Party’s Constitution and any amendments made to it under the provisions of the Constitution.
- I agree to accept the authority of the relevant local, regional and national officials of the Party.
- I totally repudiate and oppose the suggestion that British National Party members should stand as Independent Nationalist candidates and I condemn the use of lies and rumour-mongering to foster such an anti-BNP agenda.
- I agree that all Nationalists of good standing should join the British National Party and stand as British National Party candidates.
- I will do all that I can to ensure that any successful candidates will keep the Party whip and will not cross the floor to sit as a councillor for another Party nor as an Independent councillor.
- I guarantee that I will not associate politically with any proscribed organization or individual.
- I will cease to associate politically with any organization or individual that is subsequently proscribed (in accordance with Annex 1 (5) of the Constitution).
- I will support the Party in its endeavours to lawfully secure its assets and property that may be held by other third parties.
- I will do all that I can to ensure that any successful candidate will loyally serve their full term unless unforeseen circumstances make it impossible for them to continue.
- I will do nothing to embarrass the Party.
- I can confirm that I am a current fully paid up member of the Party.